This information was originally donated to this site by Bonnie Shumway, a Town of Mexico Historian (1999).

 

HISTORICAL TIMELINE FOR THE TOWN OF MEXICO

 

1809 — Primitive Cemetery (first public cemetery); village cemetery first used in 1838

1813 — First post office opened at Eagle Tavern; first office 1815

1850 — The Underground Railroad aided in the escape of Jerry McHenry, one of many who passed through Mexico

1851 — Plank walks laid on Main Street

1852 — Volunteer fire company started

1860 — Church Street had first cement walks

1880 — Telephones are installed in the village

1889 — Soldiers monument is placed in the village cemetery

1891 — First electric street lights are installed in the village

1912 — Main Street is hard-surfaced

1913 — The village installed a water system

1928 — Electric fire alarm called firemen for the first time

1930 — State Route 104 is constructed

1947 — The last passenger train ran through Mexico

1949 — Dial telephone comes to Mexico

1954 — Natural gas is available for homes

1959 — The Mexico High School Band placed second in state marching competition

1969 — Oswego County B.O.C.E.S. opens here

1972 — First unit of Kimberly Apartments built (first apartment complex)

1980 — Historical Museum opened

1981 — Complete set of the mural LeGuerre d'Independence is installed in the High School

1983 — A new post office on the corner of Main Street and Norman Avenue is dedicated

1996 — The historic Webb Block in the business district is destroyed by fire

 

 

Return to Town of Mexico Page

Return to Main Page

 

 

 

© 2018 Tammy Shepard Kocienski